ICTY Postpones Closing Date Due to Kingpin Fugitives

IMPORTANT: The full content of this page is available to premium users only.

Monday, August 1, 2005
Author: 
Bruce Zagaris
Volume: 
21
Issue: 
8
327
Abstract: 
In a June 8, 2005, letter to the U.N. Security Council, Judge Theodor Meron, president of the International Criminal Tribunal for War Crimes in the Former Yugoslavia, said that the tribunal would not be able to meet its deadline to finish all trials by 2008 and would have to keep working into at least 2009. Judge Meron said that the tribunal would not close before top fugitives Ratko Mladic, Radovan Karadzic and Ante Gotovina had been arrested and tried. In addition, Meron pointed to 51 defendants who are awaiting trial...[more]